Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Soup

So ever since Steven discovered Black Bean soup at the Cheesecake Factory he's been totaly in love with it. He has always liked beans and I'm finally learning to make them for him. So here is what I made for dinner tonight and I've got to say I'm pretty proud of myself. Personally I think it is even better that the restaurant soup. It's especially good with a little cheese and sour cream on top and tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoons minced crumbled dried thyme
2 1/2 cups cooked black beans, with one cup of cooking liquid reserved (or use canned beans)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cups diced tomatoes (I use canned)
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoons Red Pepper
2 teaspoons Black Pepper
Direc tions
1Melt butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
2Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional three minutes.
3Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4Remove three cups of the soup from the pot and process until smooth, adding the puree back to the soup after it is pureed. (Do this in batches to avoid having hot black bean soup all over your ceiling!)
5Reheat until the soup is thoroughly warmed again.

1 comment:

Rogers Family said...

You are such a good wife! I'm jealous.

Followers