Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fathers and Sons

Jace and I went on a fathers and sons camp out this last weekend. I know everyone is probably thinking I am crazy for taking my 13 month old child on a camp out. I have to just say to that.... you are absolutly correct! I am really dumb for doing it. Let me explain though. We left about 3:30 friday afternoon, so we got to the camp site a little before six. At that time it was just starting to rain where we were but I assumed it would stop sometime or another and we could just have fun. Well, it never really stopped.
That is strike number one. Jace and I didn't let that get to us though as you can see from the pics Jace got to play a little in the car while I cooked so he wouldn't wander off and also to protect him from the rain a bit. After dinner someone put up a huge tarp and the guys sort of gathered in a circle and just hung out by latern light. this was Jace's favorite part. He loved standing in the middle of everyone and dancing throwing dirt and climbing onto people's laps. At this point I thought everything was going to turn out great.

But then it was bed time. Here is where strike two happened. First off let me explain that I thought this through quite a bit and felt prepared for bed time. Boy was I wrong. I had his pack and play in the tent with some of his favorite blankets and set up to his liking. I dont know if it was the rain, being in the tent, or just him knowing there were people outside but Jace would not go to sleep at all. So about 12:30ish I finally tried putting Jace in his car seat. This seemed to work initially yet after about 15 minutes he decided it wasn't comfortable. With out draging it out too much longer I ended up holding Jace in the front seat of the car wrapped in a blanket the whole night so he would stay asleep. Me getting maybe an hour of sleep because Jace would move every ten to twenty minutes.
The only good thing was that in the middle of the night it stopped raining. I thought maybe we could have a fun morning and move on from the terrible night of no sleep. The sun cam up about 5:30 in the morning and the rain came back about 5:35. that was stike three. So I put Jace down and packed up the unused tent and crib and we were on our way home by 6:15.
All in all it was a fun trip, a fun and exhausting one thats for sure. The fun Jace had the night before made it worth it.
Next time we try camping I will make sure there is no chance of rain at all and Mom will be there to work her sleeping magic on the kid.

3 comments:

panamalamb said...

Steven,

I did a Father and Sons camp out with Jared when he was that age also. It was a lot of fun. Great to start the bonding young.

Brent

Unknown said...

Well, at least you have a good story, and things can only look up from there right?! Good for you for giving it a try!

Kyle&Tonya said...

K well now I'm not so sure I want to go camping with Maelie this week...maybe I'll have to reconsider this :)

Followers